Saturday, July 2, 2011

Poverty/General Description

If I have to make a general description about India, I would say it was a Hawaii meets Mexico but 10x worse. India is VERY humid at the moment, even more so than Hawaii. It is lush with tropical plants everywhere. On every corner and down every street, there are carts selling fresh fruit. Most commonly, they offer bananas or mangoes. India is very impoverished like Mexico. Unfortunately, from the little that I have seen, I can tell that it is actually far worse than Mexico. People lived in slums which were made up of laid together street signs and whatever fabric or tarp they can come up with at the moment. There were naked children, and everyone was barefoot. Interestingly, or should I say ironically, as I was about to take a photo for the first time of pieces of slums I saw, Songtag’s book Regarding the Pain of Others came to mind. How funny right? This book I had to read for a class last quarter and it covered the ethics of photography. At that moment, I decided it was not right to take pictures of these people. However, I later on changed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment