Saturday, July 2, 2011

Getting to Barli!

To arrive at Barli Development Institute for Rural Women, I had to take a taxi from my hotel to the IGIA airport. Once at the airport, I had a lovely time figuring out where to go and what to do. I almost had to go back through security because no one told me I needed a tag on my carryon bag. It was all an adventure, but I’ve gotten a little better at this world travel thing. I mostly count on nice employees and friendly passersby who feel sorry for me. I made it to my gate, and it was time to wait for an hour. Wait, I am going ahead of myself! First I need to talk about the hotel breakfast! :) Well, this breakfast was AMAZING! I got different types of breads and pastries and paired them with mango yogurt. This isn’t the normal type of yogurt from back home; it has a different taste and texture. Then the favorite bread/pastry I tasted was these little almond muffins. Ahhhh! They were so good! Haha. I had like five! They reminded me of the Queen Anne Cakes from American Girl’s Felicity. So tasty! Haha. Now back to the airport. After waiting for around an hour at my gate, gate 54, it was time to board the plane. The plane was a small commuter plane similar to the one I had taken in Hawaii to get from one island to another. I was exhausted, and even before take-off I fell asleep! I probably slept for around 40 minutes. The plane ride lasted 1.5 hours. Finally I landed in Indore. Being a little more confident, I went into the airport terminal, which was one room, and waited with a luggage cart for my bags. I got my bags and proceeded to a prepaid taxi booth. Knowing that they would know limited English, I had pre-written Barli’s address on a piece of paper for them. “250 rupees”, the girl at the booth said, and it was time to go to Barli! Walking outside, I scanned the taxis looking for a sign that said pre-paid taxi or even any numbers or names which matched the ticket booth. There was a crowd of men in front of me, and as I was about to walk through them, they all started to crowd around me. Haha. Realizing they wanted to see my taxi ticket, I handed it to them. Then a group of five of them walked me to a car which already had a driver and passenger. Great, I thought, they want me to share a taxi……However, instead they made the passenger get out and started putting my luggage in! The taxi driver came out smiling and said, “Barli? You go Barli?” Ah! Yes! I thought, finally someone who knows exactly where my destination is! Yes, I said with a smile, Barli. :) So we were off. Unfortunately, something which Angelina will hate, none of my transportation ever has seatbelts. I mean, they have them, but they are always covered up so I cannot use them. Well, this was my first viewing of Indore. There were many buildings and shops, people walking around, and the continuous annoying blaring of horns. Eventually, my driver again said, “Barli?” I smiled and nodded yes. We turned down a dirt road and the car stopped. I looked and there it was, Barli Development Institute for Rural Women.

No comments:

Post a Comment