Sunday, July 3, 2011

First Impressions of Barli/First Night

Once I got out of the taxi, I was greeted by Yogesh and Tahira. They are the directors of Barli and are a married team. I said my hellos and Tahira called for an intern, and my roommate, Zainup to help me carry my luggage to my room. On the way there, I met Ana and Bethany my two other roommates. We got to our room which has four short beds, five windows, tile floors, a fridge and sink area, and a bathroom/shower. I put my stuff near my bed and soon Rica and Grace, two other interns, came in. I found out that there are 11 of us in total, four from the US, 5 from UP (A state in India), 1 from Croatia, and 1 from the Czech Republic. They are all very nice and made me feel welcomed instantly. They also started complaining about Barli and Yogesh. They say he’s very rude and a horrible boss. I also found out that Barli is super strict and not flexible. Worried, I went to my meeting with Yogesh and Tahira. It went okay…..lol. Tomorrow I am having a tour of the place with Ana and then they are telling us our intern duties. For dinner, we ate rice, roti, and some cabbage thing that did not sit well with my stomach. After dinner, Bethany, Ana, Rica, Grace and I went to EasyDay, the Indian equivalent of Wal-Mart, to buy some necessities. We had to cross a busy street which was slightly scary. Cars don’t stop in India, and there are no crosswalks. But we managed. I finally went to bed at night, barely slept, and got bitten by mosquitoes at least 18 times. :/

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! (Found your blog through your sister!) I haven't been to India yet, but when I hear about the mosquitos it reminds me of Thailand... I remember after 2 weeks of being there every inch of my body was covered with bites. You get used to it after a while!! :-)

    It'll be fun to follow your stories, have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete